SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 12:25:21 CST
 Murray has raised some very interesting points in his message not just
relevant to cinema. Arthur Knight also commented in another mailing about
the importance of knowing the overall context influencing film.
 Yet, the solipsistic malaise Murray defines has both historical and
contemporary points of contact. A colleague once pointed out that America's
major problem involved not sexual repression (in the Freudian sense) but
historical repression. This has now affected certain areas of Cinema Studies
with individuals feeling over-confident in denying both the relevance of
previous studies of particular films and asserting a solipsistic "me"
generation approach leading to the neglect of the necessary historical and
archaeological research that any valid disciplinary approach involves.
  Furthermore, listening to the BBC World Service daily for the 15 minute
British News Special, I heard a news report on the new phenomenom of Easy
Listening Music. This involves youth culture fascination with non-demanding.
muzak type songs which places no demands on the listeners lulling them into
a bland sense of self-assurance. One proponent stated audiences preferred
non-reflexive, anti-postmodernist strategies of listening.
 Although these two examples are not directly dealing with Cinema Studies,
they do indirectly bear a telling relevance to issues discussed on this net.
  "I believe I am creating a new meaning and do not need to investigate past
efforts at exploration." It is a bastardized 90's version of "Cogito Ergo
Sum."
  "Those who point to the necessity of doing archaeological/historical
investigation to confirm the supposed uniqueness of their particular
readings are merely trying to preserve the academic exclusiveness of their
own tradition."
  These are really important hermaneutical issues and necessitate interpret-
ation, exploration, and further discussion. They affect not just Screen-L
alone but a pervasive mood affecting Culture in general today. One does not
want to merely cite Santayana's axiom about those not knowing the past being
doomed to repeat mistakes in the future but point to the importance of
analyzing the specific forms of this particular debate which affect us
all in one way or another.
   Tony Williams