SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 23:41:13 -0800
>. . . so now i find myself wondering: do others on the list [among those who
>teach] a) find that star power is an essential ingredient in student
>response, and--if so, b) what can and/or should be done about it? . . . or
>should we revise our theories of cinema to take stardom into account as being
>at least as important as, say, montage?

Perhaps this needs to be clarified if you are referring to "stars" or
actors.  I would certainly say the impact of an actor's performance
obviously ranks with montage with for a valid issue to study.

Honestly, I don't know where this whole "star" reaction came about.  The
original message that started this list was simply asking why the actor
Depp was choosing non-traditional material; it did not say, "isn't it true
that Depp has a tattoo with XXX's name on it?"

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy

****XANTHER