SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Alvaro Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 14:32:12 +0200
Short films have always been considered a minor thing, just a trainning tool
before undertaking the making of  features. Few countries give it an
important place in their cultural landscape: Canada, Australia, New Zeland,
Norway and to a certain extent France, according to my limited knowledge.
(please correct me if there are more).
I'been looking recently for theoretical material about the matter and found
so far nothing really good. I would appreciate any tips myself

There is very little written in general about short films. I can recommend
from the scriptwriting side "WRITING THE SHORT FILM" by Pat Cooper and Ken
Dancyger. Focal Press 1994. The book has very little theoretical analysis
but it is quite interesting from the narrative standpoint.

The best that could be used comes from literature and comes more in the form
of interesting insights from a creative writer. Julio Cortazar, a great
story teller has a short but illuminating text on how a short story is told
and the elements he considers are or should be the core of a good one.

A. Ramirez-Ospina
Institute for Media Studies
Bergen