SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Rachel Gabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 18:00:54 -0400
Just to clarify my earlier message - when I said that "Cogito ergo sum"
doesn't work anymore - I meant that it doesn't work to distinguish humans
from androids or replicants. According to the cogito, the replicants are
human. So one could argue that the question isn't whether Deckard is a
replicant or not, but whether the replicants are human or not. But if the
distinguishing characteristic of humanity is empathy, which the existence
of the empathic response test implies, then "humanity" has a means of
excluding the replicants, making them non or sub-human.

Rachel Gabara