SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Mark Netter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 13:06:17 -0400
evidence that he is a replicant, as the origami unicorn left at the end shows
that his thoughts were implanted.

Also, the god-awful exterior shots at the end of the studio cut are mostly
outtakes from The Shining. How lame.

I still believe that had the Director's Cut been released at first instead of
the studio version, the film would have had a greater general impact. At the
time I thought it was inane, falling apart very early. Only my friends who
were hard core sci-fi or Art Direction junkies really loved it. The later
release plays like the most compelling vision of the future to come out of
Hollywood since 2001.

Mark Netter