SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 09:56:38 -0800
>Does anyone have any good advice for someone about to start writing their
>first screen play. I hope to film it sometime next year. I was just
>wondering if anyone had any helpful tips.

Here are some good books with various emphasis:

Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman
(Very entertaining and insightful about both writing and the industry of
writing)

How to Make a Good Script Great
(Great for knowing what Hollywood-types look for, but also good for helping
you explore your own material)

______________ by Richard Walter
(I forgot the name, really good for basics)

The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lejos Egri
(Hard Core book about building characters, is really about playwriting but
applies well)

Elements of Screenwriting
(I remember that this has some good points)

*Also there is one book that I recommend that you don't read that seems to
be very popular, but I can't think of the name, it MIGHT be
"Scriptwriting".  I believe it has little diagrams breaking the movie into
thirds.  It is a ridiculous distraction and causes more harm than good.

AND if you plan to shoot the film on your own (which is what it sounds like
if you have a planned shoot date already), then you absolutely MUST read
this:

Independent Feature Film Production by Greggory Goodell
(one word:  excellent)

AND if you are looking for learning more about the art of cinema:

Film Art
(A good foundation for starting to learn about filmmaking)

Sculpting in Time by Andrei Tarkovsky
(Not for the weak minded is this one.  Very intense reading.  Extremely
emotional.  A good look into the intensity of the art in cinema.)

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy

****XANTHER