SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Mark Netter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 02:10:44 -0400
I do think Johnny Depp gets a bad rap, due to his good looks and original
teen appeal.  However, the guy has made terrific career choices, both within
the Hollywood system with films like Gilbert Grape and Ed Wood, and with
great independent directors such a Kusterica and Jarmursh.  He's very focused
in each role, and holds the screen for all of Dead Man, a very interesting
and beautiful film.

Brad Pitt gets the same rap and has taken a few chances, but I do think his
egoism shows through in his tendency to overmanner his more "interesting"
roles.

Mark Netter