SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
El Amante Cine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 04:36:52 -0300
Mark Allen wrote:
>And while on the subject, I'll voice my opinion here that the mass of
>reviewers comparing 12 Monkeys with its inspiration La Jetee who insulted
>the more recent script as being the lessor were simply searching for an
>excuse to prove that they had seen the obscure french film, La Jetee.  I
>was thouroughly impressed with the adaptation and view the two as two
>completely different works of art.  There were two holes in the new script
>I didn't care for much, but overall, I was hugely impressed and
>disappointed that the writer didn't receive the acclaim he deserved.

I agree and I desagree. The script is clever (although I wouldn=B4t call it
an "adaptation") and the screenwriters do deserve the credit for that. But
a clever script doesn=B4t make a work of art (at least in the sense La jetee
is such a thing). In this particular case, the main obstacle is the 13th
monkey in the film: director Terry Gilliam, who's heavy hand can ruin not
only the feeling and subtilities of La jettee but also the convolutions of
the script as well.

Quintin
El Amante Cine Magazine
Buenos Aires