SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 5

From:
Mark Kawakami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:08:22 -0700

> I have seen a number of surveys which addressed the question of the value
> of film school versus practical training. A variety of highly successful
> film makers and their schoolings are considered. These surveys (as I
> remember them) conclude that about 50 % of their subjects received formal
> film educations while 50 % did not.
>
> The surveys usually consider only the educations of the great but not the
> less than great film makers.

These statistics are probably true, however, it is an industry which is
rapidly changing. THe concept of a 'film school' is fairly recent,
compared to something like 'art school' or 'music school'. Since many of
many in Hollywood today started their careers before film becoming a
common university degree, there should be a large number of people
without them. However, now there are more people than ever in film
school, many who have tremendous experince as well. So future film
employers have the ability to choose both experience and education.

Also, film school does offer many internship possibilities which aren't
attainable elsewhere, but I imagine that that varies depending on the
strength of the industry in the are where the school resides.