SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 5

Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:20:19 -0500
>Does anyone know where tv listings were published in the late forties and
>early fifties?  I haven't found thme in the daily newspapers, and I don't
>think "TV Guide" was around until 1953.  Thanks for any advice.
>
>Mary Heather Smith
>Dept. of English
>University of Minnesota
I remember reading the Wilkes-Barre, Penna. Times Leader in Late 40's and
early 50's. Like an entertainment page, the radio listings with Green Hornet,
Stella Dallas, Superman, Kate Smith, Sammy Kaye, etc. and a couple movie
houses in Wilkes-Barre, then came the outdoor movies and they would advertise
and compete with indoor movies and the radio program listings just kept
rolling, same format(before FM, of course, only AM). Then TV started the
schedule didn't take much room, because we only had one station and it came
on like 7AM and quit around 11pm. and things just kept evolving, but we
still have the Times-Leader Entertainment page.

Art Prutzman
Dallas, Pa.