SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 12:12:02 -0600
Peter Latham wonders:
"When I saw Sense and Sensibility, I was struck by the whiteness of the
print I saw. It seemed over-exposed in an effort to render accurately the
widely variant costume, hair and makeup colors. Did anyone esle have this
perception?

Let me hasten to add that I thought the film otherwise masterful and hope
that the print I viewd was the only errant print."

I think it was an errant print.  Although many of the outdoor (and indoor)
scenes seemed to be suffused with whites and yellows, the night scenes (and
many indoor scenes) seemed appropriately dark.  I do recall that in some of
the indoor scenes, the light coming through the windows seemed overexposed,
of necessity.  It was a beautiful-looking film.  I think I'll have to go
look again!

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)