SCREEN-L  March 1996, Week 4

SCREEN-L March 1996, Week 4

Re: Re[2]: Shooting of Flaherty's Nanook

Evan Cameron <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:51:25 -0500

Professor Langer seems to have difficulty rendering coherent not only
Flaherty's work, but his own conjectures about it.  What Langer said, and
I contested, was that Flaherty had been "professionally trained by Kodak",
bearing the full implication that the skills Flaherty brought to bear in
the making of NANOOK and his later films were - contrary to his own
testimony and those who knew best of his work - the result of prior
"professional training" by others.  A 3-week crash course from Kodak,
taken in 1913 at the suggestion of William McKenzie, amounts to being
"professionally trained by Kodak" by no standard known to me nor to any
one who later worked with Flaherty.

As for the coherence of the earlier work on NANOOK with the latter,
perhaps Professor Langer will someday inform us why his standard of
identity (whatever that may be) should supercede Flaherty's own and those
who knew him.  The negatives culled from four expeditions beginning in
1913 were indeed burnt while being cut in Toronto in 1917; Flaherty then
convinced Revillon Freres to back the 1920 expedition which culminated in
the successful revision of the project - and indeed, by 1920(!), Flaherty
had lots of first-hand experience under his belt.

To claim, however, that the northern projects which culminated in NANOOK
were "distinct ventures" to Flaherty, because he took the opportunity to
reconstrue and restructure the film between his initial and final attempts
at it, simply begs the question at issue.  The 1913 venture is related to
the one of 1920 as neither are related to MOANA, MAN OF ARAN or LOUISIANA
STORY.  The latter were "distinct ventures", as the phrase is commonly
understood, though I doubt that the nuances of our language will stand in
the way of Professor Langer's quest for deconstruction.  (As Bernard
Herrmann once said to me about CITIZEN KANE, with reference to Ms. Kael's
similar anti-authorial project generated without consultation with him
or any other of Welles's coworkers, "yeah - the shoeshine boy did it!")

The fascination of Flaherty to so many who worked with him, of course, is
that the glorified stories he (and his wife, Frances) later concocted
around his production methods rested almost without exception upon a hard
core of truth, as every coworker from Goldman to van Dongen and Leacock
has attested.  (Dispite his disregard of them, I trust their testimonies
are known to Professor Langer, or at least where to find them!) Surfaces
aside, the Flaherty myth matched the reality, in their judgment, to a
degree altogether exceptional among filmmakers.  To careful historians,
that doesn't mean you trust the myth; but it assuredly forbids one from
junking it in the interest of an anti-authorial agenda.

Evan William Cameron                            Telephone: 416-736-5149
York University - CFT 216 (Film)                Fax:       416-736-5710
4700 Keele Street                               E-mail:    [log in to unmask]
North York, Ontario
Canada  M3J 1P3