SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 12:51:24 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> SCREE=
[log in to unmask] writes:
> About my query on shooting of Nanook:
>
> Ken Nolley wrote:
> >Flaherty was not alone when he shot Nanook.
> Mark Langer wrote:
> >Flaherty was assisted by Bob Stewart, the Revillion agent at Port Harris=
on
> Mike Pounds wrote:
> >Obvious Flaherty wasn't alone! But his approach to filmmaking was decide=
dly
> Morgan wrote:
> >Flaherty was alone, in the sense of white, proffessional assistants,
> Rolf W. Brandis wrote:
> >He brought with him 75,000 ft of film, a Haulberg electric light plant a=
nd
> And Yves Lever wrote to me:
> >Evidemment, Flaherty =E9tait seul, avec une seule cam=E9ra, sans aucun
> So who's right? Although almost everyone gives me literature references to

> DENIS SIMARD | [log in to unmask]

All of us probably!

However, my trib is from - How I Filmed Nanook of the North by
Robert J. Flaherty Film Makers on Film Making edited by Harry M. Geduld
Pelican/ Penguin Books reprinted from the Indiana University Press 1967

""All told I made four expeditions on Sir William's behalf, during
a period of six years, along the East coast of Hudson Bay....This
work culminated in the discovery of the Belcher Island archipelago. As part
of my exploration equipment, on these expeditions, a motion-picture
outfit was included.

[On The Nanook filming(alone)]

The journay thither began on 18 June 1920. With Indians by canoe...my equi=
pment
included 75 000 feet of film, a Haulberg electric light plant and projector.
two Akely cameras and a printing machine, so that I could make prints of
film as it was exposed and project the pictures on the screen so that there=
by
the Eskimo would be able to see and understand wherever mistakes were made.
Of the Eskimo who were known to the Post, a dozen all told I selected for t=
he
film. Of these Nanook, a character famous in the country, was my chief man.
Besides him and much to his approval, I selected three younger men as
helpers. This also meant their wives and families, dogs to the number of
about twenty-five, their sledges, kayaks, and hunting impedimenta.

The difficulties of film development and printing during the winter were
many. That convenience of civilisation which I most missed was
running water. For instance, in the film washing, three barrels of water
for every hundred feet was required. The water hole, then eight feet of
ice, had to be kept open all winter long and water clotted with particles
of ice had to be taken, a barrel at a time, from a distance of more than a
quarter of a mile away. When I mention that over 50 000 feet of film
was developed over the winter with no assistance save from my Eskimo
and at the slow rate of eight hundred feet a day, one can understand
somewhat the amount of time and labour involved."

:)

--
Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu. "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."