SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:35:34 -0500
>Does anyone know other books or articles on the subject of reality TV (and
>'emotion TV'), or know of people in the academic field of film and
>television studies who are also working on the subject? There must be
>some...

I know of three additional scholarly publications about reality based TV:

Two by my friend and colleague Mary Beth Oliver: "Portrayals of crime,
race, and aggression in 'reality-based' police shows: A content analysis,"
in _Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media_, _38_, 179-192; and Mary
Beth Oliver and G. B. Armstrong, "Predictors of Viewing and Enjoyment of
Reality-Based and Fictional Crime Shows," _Journalism Quarterly_, _72_,
559-570.

And Robin Andersen, _Consumer Culture & TV Programming_, Boulder, CO:
Westview, 1995 (see Chapter7, "_Cops_ on the _Night Beat_.")

Hope these help!

Matt McAllister
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Department of Communication Studies at Virginia Tech Home Page:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/