SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 2

From:
Philip Spagnolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:41:37 -0500
Hi,

It seems that everytime I watch 2001, the film's meaning becomes more
ambiguous. Currently we are studying this masterpiece in my film class;
and I was hoping I could get some opinions from people on the true
meaning of the monolith.

Personally, I feel it represents man's destiny. It seems to mark the
stages of life and intellect which is developing in the human race. But
is it mere curiosity which leads man to follow or is it necessity, that
is, the monolith is leading man towards his destiny?

This brings me to an article I read in SIGHT AND SOUND, circa 1968,
which boldly states that man is a mere pawn to this alien intelligence.
It is so far advanced, we cannot even communicate with it. In other
words, man is simply a means for the monolith to have a little fun. The
author goes on to conclude 2001 is merely fodder for the eyes which is
mesmerizing but lacks any real substance. I suppose he never dreamed
this film would become a classic.

How does the monolith tie into man's evolution? What role does Hal,
assuming the role of God on the Jupiter mission, play in regards to
theme? Is it that we have lost the ability to really communicate?

I'm very interested in hearing people's opinions on this film.
Phil

======
Philip Spagnolo Loneliness has followed me my whole life,
everywhere.
                                In bars, cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere.
                                    There's no escape; and God is only man.
[log in to unmask] --Taxi Driver (1975)
======