SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 2

From:
Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 00:23:35 -0400
I realize that Kubrick wrote 90% of the script and Clarke about 5%
(according to AC), but after all it is based on the short story "The
Sentinel."  And further, one must recall Clarke's earlier novel,
Childhood's End, which also deals with the next phase in human
evolution.  In that novel, the world is basically destroyed and humankind
is transcended to a higher, "spiritual"(?) realm.  It is also interesting
to note that this evolutionary process is facilitated by beings who are
vastly superior to humans and who look like demons.

Again, I'm making no claim that this was in Kubrick's mind when he made
2001, but it is tempting to see some connection, since he did have some
close contact with Clarke as they wrote the script.

Ron Hoffman