SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:14:54 +0000
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
> Ironically, during the time the film
> was released in Britain, virtually all of Wood's movies gained huge publicity
> in terms of 35mm and video release. O.K. But this is at the cost of denying
> audiences access to the huge diversity cinema is capable off, fuelling the
> tendencies within certain sectors to regard cinema as merely being a trivial,
> harmless, inessential quality as insubstantial and camp as Wood and his films
> were.

I'll disagree with you on this point; particularly about "Glen or
Glenda".

With Woods's first film, we have a cross-dresser who scripts and
directs a feature film about his own lifestyle and problems he faces
by society.  As "bad" as his own directorial style was and as
incompetent as his story-telling techniques were, it still stands as
unique little quirk of history that says much more about post-WWII
American than any Welles film ever did.

At least that one film isn't "campy and inconsequential"; it may
prove to be the one of the most unique and personal directorial
statements ever done on film.

Randy
(who's _really_ expecting to provoke discussion on the list with this
one)

Randy A. Riddle, Winston-Salem, NC
[log in to unmask] -- http://www.infi.net/~rriddle