SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

From:
Leo Bankersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:27:02 +0100
Bill Elliott wrote:
> John Huston's VICTORY seems to me the best use of soccer as the
> basis of a mainstream "Hollywood" film.

But did it have theatrical release (on a significant scale) in
Europe? If not, it would still confirm my impression that in
Europe there is no place in film for soccer-heroes. The one or
two titles that were mentioned could still be the proverbial
exeption.

Arnte Maaso wrote:
> This is probalbly  when it comes to fiction films. A few
> documentaries are produced, though. For instance a popular and
> well directed danish documentary  called "Laudrup", about the
> danish star Michael Laudrup. Right now a Norwegian documentary
> about Erik "Myggen" (mosquito) Myggland is about to be released
> in Norway, not only for television, but (as far as I know) also
> to be shown in theatres around Norway.

I did have fiction films in mind, but maybe I could add
documentaries with theatrical release to my list as well. And
speaking of soccer-documentaries, I would like to mention (and
not just for chauvinistic reasons) the Dutch documentary SOLO, DE
WET VAN DE FAVELA (Solo, the Law of the Favela), a beautiful
portrait of two talented soccer-kids in the slums of Rio the
Janeiro.

And Ulf Dalquist added:
> The only film I can think that's clearly a soccer saga is one
> whose name and director escapes me for the moment. However it's
> african (can't remember country either) and is called something
> like THE GOLDEN BALL.

THE GOLDEN BALL (Le ballon d'or) by Cheik Doukoure is from
Guinea. I fine soccer-film indeed.

Which alltogether still leaves me curious about soccer in Latin-
American films. Any South-American Screen-member out there?

Leo Bankersen