SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 16:31:16 -0500

> > I am looking for a film that deals with the Asian immigrant experience
> > here in the US.  I remember one with Dennis Quaid, but I've blanked on
> > the title.  This is for a course on race relations.  Other films I am
> > considering are El Norte, Do the Right Thing.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > DAVID B. JAFFE
> > Asst. Professor.........Internet:[log in to unmask]
> > Theater Department......Phone:(203)439-2612
> > Connecticut College.....Mail:Box 5472 Conn. College
> >                              270 Mohegan Ave.
> >                              New London, CT 06320

By far the best film I've seen by and about Asian American immigrants
is _A.K.A. Don Bonus_ directed by Sokly Ny and Spencer Nakasako.
It's a video diary documentary (transferred to 16mm film)  by a teenage
Cambodian-born teenage living in San Francisco.  It's distributed by
NAATA.

NAATA's web page is located at the following URL:
        http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/NAATACAT.html

Kathy