SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 05:22:07 GMT
*****  I doubt you'll find a simple definition for the good reason that
film noir is a genre "created" by critics rather than filmmakers,
audiences or what have you. (Nobody in the 40s or 50s was saying "Hey
let's go see a film noir tonight" or "Hey let's put a twist on that old
film noir formula.") It's not even necessarily crime movies; even
though i can't think of an example where there is *no* crime at all,
that may not be the main focus of the film. LT

In <[log in to unmask]> "Peter S. Latham"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I have been looking for a simple and quotable definition of "film
noir."
>Unlike most film terms which have fairly standard meanings, the
definitions
>of "film noir" that I have seen vary widely, e.g. "any crime movie
depicitng
>a fatalistic universe made between 1941 and 1960" or "any crime movie
made in
>black and white with odd camera angles and low-key, high contrast
lighting"
>etc. etc. Any thoughts?
>
>Peter
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
SCREEN-L