SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 4

From:
Auden Ledahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 1995 00:33:25 -0500

> *New York Post* published a very short
>obituary with a headline that identified Ms. McQueen not as an actor but as
>"Scarlett's maid."
>
>        Gloria Monti

   Gloria,

   Butterfly McQueen got a little more respect out here. One thing I read was
that she hated playing 'Prissy' but that she was happy she did it because it
gave her something she could live on (income... not typecasting). According
to the article, she died from second and third degree burns over 70% of her
body. The cause of the fire was a kerosine heater. She was 84.

   She debuted on Broadway in 1936 in 'Brother Rat', then went on to gain
critical attention and a shot at a part in 'Gone With the Wind' for her
performance as a comic maid in 'Brown Sugar'. Interesting Note: She could not
attend the 1939 premiere of 'Gone With the Wind', because it was held in a
whites-only theater. She had to wait 50 years to get public praise for her
role; being one of the honored guests at the 50th-anniversary premiere.

   She has also appeared in such films as:

     'Affectionately Yours'
     'Duel in the Sun'
     'I Dood it'
     'Cabin in the Sky'
     'Since You Went Away'

    From 1950-53 she also appeared in 'Beulah', one of the first television
shows to star a black performer (she played a maid). In a 1988 interview, she
said, "I didn't mind playing a maid the first time, because I thought that
was how you got into the business... But after I did the same thing over and
over I resented it. I didn't mind being funny, but I didn't like being
stupid."

   (My information was taken from an article written by Polly Anderson and
distributed through The Associated Press)

   TalkingEd