SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Hubbard31 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hubbard31 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:46:04 -0500
Well, assuming Barton Fink was written by Joel and Ethan Coen, (and as far
as I know it is) The Coen's grew up in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and their
parents were professors.

Is there a "Slausen" near there?   Also the Coen's tend to use inside
jokes, for example, the name of their current production company is the
name of a school friend.  There are many Coen jokes on record,
specifically one about Ethan Coen's dismissal from Princeton involving a
semester off he took after claiming to have been shot by his brother in
law I believe.  When the Princeton administration asked for a letter from
his doctor, they got one, complete with warnings about his delicate mental
state, and his willingness to use his "hook" on anyone who looked at him
funny, or some such thing.