SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:46:50 EST
Irene Upshur writes:

> Why did the producers and/or director of TOY STORY go to such visual lengths
> to make sure that the evil/dark "other" kid -- Sid--was depicted as being
> poor????

Perhaps I missed something, but why do you maintain that Sid was poor?
Both Sid and Andy appear to live in a lower middle-class suburb.  Their
homes, located right next to each other, are comparable, and are similarly
decorated.  Sid's room might be nightmarishly dark, and his bed might lack
sheets, but it seems pretty clearly established that his parents don't
have access to his room because of the multiple locks on his door.  He
certainly doesn't seem to lack toys, and he has spending money to use
the video games, etc. at Planet Pizza.  Class doesn't seem to have too much
to do with it, although I'd be quite interested in hearing an argument to
the contrary.

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]