SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
Bjorn Aas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 20:28:06 +0100
At 13:44 04.12.95 EST, Cal Pryluck wrote:

>Is there something so special about music videos that they required
>specialized training, not available at any school doing a decent job
>of training in film/video production?

No, of course, and yes indeed! If the school have courses long enough to
encompass all aspects of practical training and theoretical thinking on film
and TV-production, including indepth studies on music and composition, there
is of course no need for special training in producing music videos.

But in this world of constant struggle for enough time and classes for
teaching the 100-150-odd vocations of film and TV, most of us tend to do
something better than others. It may be documentaries, animation, studio
production, editing, and even news that can be sharper thaught one place
than another. That's fine with me; it means that mediastudents can get the
best teaching from us on the subjects that interest them most. Er, - if we
manage to guide them there.

And, yes, I can see two spesific areas where we do more to prepare students
for working with music video production:

- Musical understanding, the ability to analyse music so they can get a firm
and fact-based grip on the elements of the compositions they shall work with.

- And a sligthly different dialect of the film language than we usually
teach in our basic courses. I think Eisenstein would have loved to work with
tools like the new computer-based systems we have. And I make sure that my
students don't believe that montage was invented in 1982 by MTV.

Bjorn Aas, TV-lecturer, Danvik Folkehogskole, N-3046 Drammen, Norway
             (Danvik School of Media and Communication)
Tel: ..47 3283 1290 Fax: ..47 3289 1245 E-mail [log in to unmask]