SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:22:29 +0100
Bjorn Aas wrote:

> And I make sure that my
>students don't believe that montage was invented in 1982 by MTV.

I lecture a lot on music video, and it is one of my special areas of
interest. I AM surprised that many Swedish students think that music video
is a modern (or postmodern) art form, not directly related to the film
history past. As far as I can make out, it is DIRECTLY related to
avant-garde and American underground film of the 40's to 70's. There are a
lot of intertextual references that can't be ignored, and stylistic
likenesses that are too close to be coincidence.

I am not saying that music videos ONLY use these as influences, but the
importance of a stylistic break in filmic conventions (as well as those
done by other movements, like the New Wave) have helped to create a montage
based very much on jump cuts and what Andrew Goodwin calls DISJUNCTURE in
"Dancing in the Distraction Factory". I do disagree with a number of things
he writes in the book, but it is the best one I have seen so far on music
video!

Cheers,
BERT

BERT DEIVERT   Film Studies      University of Karlstad
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      S-651 88 Karlstad
Voice: 46-54-83 81 06            SWEDEN
Fax: 46-54-83 84 96
http://www.hks.se/~bertd/bertd.html