SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

From:
Tricia Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:54:22 -0500
I have tried the Film Index International, which is the database that comes
from the BFI's Library and Information Services branch.  It indexes
90,000 "entertainment films" (their designation) and is tied to a second
database that indexes 30,000 personalities.  I've just had a quick look
at it while my college's library was testing it, but it's quick, easy to
use, and contains an impressive bibliography for many entries (including
hard-to-track fan magazine references from the 30s!).

It is, however, pricey--I seem to recall it costs around $1200.  But it
can be networked to different sites across a campus.  I was very
impressed with it and recommended it to our library.

It is distributed through Chadwyck-Healey (1-800-752-0515).

Tricia Welsch
Bowdoin College