SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:51:14 +0000
> We've spent alot of time with Riefenstahl. Shown both OLIMPIADE's...POWER OF
> THE WILL>>>etc. The documentary about her is long, but somewhat interesting
> as well as her recently published autobiography.
> RWBrandis

As for traditional "film" documentaries:

Dealing with the same era and beyond, I might recommend MARLENE --
interesting to show what you can do with somewhat limited material
and an unwilling subject.

I've seen no one mention SALESMAN, a late 60's documentary about a
travelling salesman; films by LES BLANK (including BURDEN OF DREAMS,
which surpasses "Hearts of Darkness" in many respects in showing the
creative film process); or my personal favorite, SHERMAN'S MARCH.

I've seen some mention of MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA; but I would have
to point out that there is a difference between experimental and
documentary film. MWAMC might fit into either category, but doesn't
follow a more "traditional" narrative style. (ATOMIC CAFE might be
one that could be classified as a narrative documentary with
experimental traits.)

On the other hand, I'm disturbed that there's a concentration on the
"big budget", more popular-oriented works in the lists I've seen
posted here. Video -- a medium that is revolutionizing the
documentary form by providing tools of expression to minority or
localized groups at a small cost -- is being ignored by Academia for
the most part. The "classic" documentary of this generation won't be
shot on 16mm or 35mm, but probably on VHS, Hi-8, or DV (when it
becomes available).

What about laserdisk or CD-ROM "documentaries"? Prelinger's
interactive "You Can't Get There From Here", available on laserdisk
from Voyager, is a prime example of how an audio/visual presentation
medium can be used to explore the history of a topic. The "Sound in
Motion" CD-ROM that is based on the 16mm documentary about
contemporary poetry might also be interesting to explore as well.

I would have to ask -- what are you teaching _about_ the documentary
form? It's history? Social impact? Technological development?
Style? All of the above? There's a wealth of material out there and
narrowing down the focus would certainly help students get a handle
on documentaries. Inclusion of expansions (ie, video, CD-ROM,
interactive laserdisk) on the form (film) can provide students with a
look towards the future of the documentary and it's potential for
telling a story or sending a message to the viewer.

RAND

--Randy A. Riddle -- [log in to unmask] --
--http://www.infi.net/~rriddle -- Aspiring Documentary Filmmaker,
--sometimes writer for "The Front Page", and general all around squeaky wheel.
--Cool Cat Daddy Productions --Winston-Salem, NC, -- (910) 777-0675