SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Tamao Nakahara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:20:02 -0400
Greetings SCREEN-L FOLKS!

Glad to be part of this oh-so active newsgroup!

I hope to add some info to the food topic and to request info regarding
Lynch's *Eraserhead*:

So far, I have not seen references to Robert Redford's *Quiz Show* which uses
food and dining scenes to reveal human bonds or separations: ie Jew-Gentile
dichotomies (yes, simplified but present), bonds between Jews, bonds between
Gentiles, cultural codes at the table (manners, types/ level of discussions)
and, familial bonds (birthday parties and father-son bonding over chocolate
cake and milk).

Also, *Belle Epoque* plays with the cliche of food and sex but offers more on
the topic regarding the church and gluttony, family and acceptance, etc.

*Men Don't Leave* may not have much relevance here, but there are interesting
scenes relating food, work, women, motherhood, madness, and emancipation.

While it's on my mind, I guess *Eraserhead,* too, offers interesting scenes
regarding food: the malfunctioning man-made chickens, the salad-mixing scene,
and the attempt to feed the "baby."

Hope these help.

On *Eraserhead*:

I am currently researching interpretative strategies on the film and neither
my professor (UCB) nor I have come up with any hearty resources.  I'm
surprised that such a recognized film has so little written on it.  Besides
some short reviews and a few chapters (I've been advised to look up J.
Hoberman's *Midnight Movies* and D Perry's *Cult Movie*) I have found almost
nothing.  If anyone could refer me to some other books or dissertations on
the work, please post me a message.  I am especially interested in
interpretations relating the film to technology, psychoanalysis, memory,
allegory, and semiotics.

Thank you in advance,

Tamao Nakahara