SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Yang Gao <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:41:54 CDT
Subject: Re: Technical--Radition and Film Stock

I'm not sure of the specifics for colour film, this will also depend on
the stock that was used, but ionizing radiation will fog 35mm.  Early
methods of detection used film badges on nuclear personnel for this
reason. Clumsily effective to measure the amount of exposure.  One
anecdote from the first blast at Trinity is that the Manhattan scientists
were so worried about the fallout covering the state, some bright spark
suggested tracing the line of complaints residents made to their local
drug stores when they discovered their still and movie film was fogged.
Actually turnd out to be a dud batch from the lab! Radiation also effects
videotape.  I've seen documentaries on Chernobyl with images taken on the
reactor roof while firemen were battling the blaze.  The video was
streaked with flecks of light, oddly similar to night vision imagery.

Let me know what else you turn up, as I'm still actively researching the
nuclear film genre.

Mick Broderick, UTS.

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Donald Larsson wrote:

> I have a somewhat technical question that was raised by a student.  Does
 anyone
> know how sensitive color film stock is (or was) to ambient nuclear radition
> or where I could find such information?
>
> The question was occasioned by discussion of nuclear testing in the St.
 George,