SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

From:
"Ana M. Lopez" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:28:04 -0500
A colleague and I are working on a (somewhat) bizarre project and are trying
to identify classic Hollywood or European films which feature food items,
memorable meals, and/or the consumption or preparation of specific food
items or dishes. We are looking for titles/specific scenes in which food
items, preparation or consumption are not simply something that happens in
the background of dramatic scenes but are actually given some weight in the
narrative and/or mise en scene.  Thus, for example, pancakes in the first
*Imitation of Life,* the picnic lunch in *Stella Dallas,* bananas and
strawberries in *The Gang's All Here,* roast pork in *Picnic,* and breakfast
in *Citizan Kane.*  Obviously there are hundreds of other possibilites, but
we've run into a blank wall.  Can anyone out there be of help?  If you email
to me privately, I'll post the results later.
Ana M Lopez
Department of Communication
219 Newcomb Hall
Tulane University