SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 08:21:58 EDT
Martin F Norden writes:

> I am seeking information related to the censorship of the 1932 MGM film
> _Freaks_, directed by Tod Browning. If you know of any sources that deal
> with this movie from a censorship angle (even ones that you think might
> be obvious), I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks so much.

Marty,

Here are a couple of obvious sources. Try David J. Skal & Elias Savada, Dark
Carnival: The Secret World of Tod Browning. (N.Y.: Anchor, 1995),
which has a short and interesting account of the reaction to the film,
some of it based on oral histories with participants in its production.
There is also material in Douglas Gomery (ed.), Will H. Hays Papers,
Part II: April 1929 to September 1945. (Frederick, MD: University
Publications of America, Indiana State University, 1986).

Regards,

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]