SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
Peter X Feng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 02:04:42 -0600
>Does anyone know the title, date of release, and production co./distributor
>for the documentary made about Maya Lin, the architect who designed the Viet
>Nam Memorial?  It won some kind of award this year, I think, but I don't
>know the name of it, etc.  It would also be helpful to know the running time
>of the film.
>
>Many thanks!
>
>Donna Harrington Kenny

The title of the film is MAYA LIN: A STRONG CLEAR VISION, directed by
Frieda Lee Mock, produced by Sanders and Mock Productions.  Running time is
105 minutes.  The distributor is Ocean Releasing (Mock's company).  Reason
you haven't seen it is because it was completed just before Oscar-time, and
actually won the Oscar before making the rounds at Festivals.

Actually, the film showed just last weekend at the Seattle Asian American
Film Festival.  At the festival, Mock announced that it would be on PBS
"end of next year" (not sure whether she meant calendar year 1996 or
1995-96 season).  The film opens theatrically on October 20th in
Washington, DC; November 3 in NYC, and then in major markets the next
weekend (which is of course Veterans Day).

BTW, just to be nitpicky, I believe the proper name of the memorial is the
Vietnam *Veterans* Memorial; I feel this is important given the battles
over whether Lin's design was making a statement about the politics of the
war (arguably Ross Perot's position) or about the memory of those (from the
U.S.) who lost their lives (the committee's position).

Peter Feng