SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
Stephane Charitos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 14:03:53 EST
Hi:

A friend of mine just got a project accepted by ARTE (the French art
channel). She will host a 4 hour show where she (and her guests) will
try to examine the concept of borders as it relates to the Balkans (not
only geographic borders but also cultural, ethnic, socio-economical as
well as mental). She would like to illustrate her show with clips taken
from various movies (feature films, shorts, documentaries, etc) filmed
in the Balkans and, if possible, by cineasts
of that region. The problem she's run into is that there are few, if
any,organized catalogues of what is available. She's therefore forced to
spend an undo amount of time scouring unorganized archives and viewing
literally kilometers of filmstock to try to find the bits and pieces she
needs (for example, we spent a few days in Tirana this summer in the
official "cinemateque" and the conditions are really beyond description:
no catalogue, copies of film left out to rot in the humidity etc.).

It would make life simpler for her if she had, ahead of time, a list of
potentially useful film containing sequences illustrating this theme.
She could then try to track these down to view instead of literally
having to look at everything. She's interested in films from the
following countries:

Albania, Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Roumania,
FYROM, and Turkey (don't worry about Greece, we got it covered...she's
based in Athens)

Thanks in advance. Since I don't read this group on a regular basis, I
would appreciate receiving any answer at my email address:

Stephanos C.