SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
"Kirk W. Laughlin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 23:09:16 GMT
NOTE:  A "Usual Suspects" spoiler below:

DAVID MOON <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> and, although the name escapes me, the recent (last three years) film
> with Liam Neeson playing a "set-up" man fighting for his life, after
> his wife and an artist are found murdered in a Brighton hotel bedroom
> is also a fine example of narration twisted to win the audience's
> sympathies.

> David Moon

Yes, I just watched that Liam Neeson film on cable (and the name
escapes me, too).

I don't think anyone has mentioned the new film "The Usual Suspects"
in which the entire plot, told in flashback, is called into question
by the narrator's unreliability -- there are even a few things like
"Reversal of Fortune" and "Rashomon" in which questionable events are
seen a couple of times with different details -- which makes you think
while you're watching it that you are getting close to the "truth" and
then the ENTIRE rug gets pulled out from under you.

I am partial to this type of film because I have written a "brilliant"
(of course) screenplay (a kind of cerebral "Total Recall") in which a
futuristic agent has his memories manipulated.

Kirk W. Laughlin
Grants Coordinator
Pacific Science Center
Seattle, WA