SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
LFRibeiro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LFRibeiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:59:29 -0400
I m collecting information for an article on three recent films exploring
young women emotionally and/or physically involved with one another and
their subsequent joint participation in murdering an older woman. The
films I m interested in were all released in 1994, FUN (Neo Modern/Grey
Cat), SISTER MY SISTER (UK Channel 4) and HEAVENLY CREATURES
(WingNut/Miramax). Thematic issues as varied and widespread as female
generational relationships, class,juvenile thrill killing, the feminine
creative impulse, female sexual repression in adolescents, definitions of
lesbian relationships, women and religion are all part of my concern, as
well as filmic matters such as subjectivity, reliability of narrator and
 true life narrative evolution into film (all three films are based on
actual incidents). I would welcome serious discussion of any or all of
the above three films and recommendations of readings on any of these
topics.

LF Ribeiro