SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Mike Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 17:23:35 -0400
Original message:

> Let's take MFrank seriously for a moment.
>
> It seems to me that nearly all film storytelling uses narration which is to
> some degree unreliable. Ambiguity, visual and otherwise, is used to tease
> the audience in one direction or another. And don't the best of stories
> usually end with an unanticipated twist?
>
> Surely only small children believe (or would want to believe) that what the
> camera shows them is the whole truth.
>
> Are there any examples of well-known films in which visual trickery isn't
> used?

i'm delighted to be taken seriously, even if only for a moment, but find it
hard to think about the questions reaised in this message . . . would it be
possible to get, from the writer or others on the list, examples of the kind
of "visual trickery" that is used in "nearly all film story-telling" . . .

. . . for my part, what i THINK i'm concerned with is the extent to which the
camera in a film (or editing, or cinematography, or mise-en-scene. . . that
is, all the things that the film-maker controls to shape the finished work)
must be theorized as similar to the language in a novel, and thus equally
subject to fallibility

mike frank