SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Randy Thom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 13:07:04 -0400
I think four of the best examples of narrated "Hollywood" films are:
Amadeus, Badlands, Days Of Heaven, and Apocalypse Now.

Only in the case of Amadeus  do we see the person narrating while the
narration is happening.

Working in movie production, it has been my experience that very few films
are conceived with the intention of using voice-over narration.  Most choose
to use narration in order to make up for "story holes" which would otherwise
confuse the audience.  Voice-over is usually considered a tactic of last
resort, short of massive re-shooting, when the story just isn't working.  It
is a shame that voice-over narration isn't integrated into the storytelling
more often from the inception of the film, because it can be a wonderful
element, in the right context.