SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Dandrade Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:24:00 EST
announcing a new journal

                     F I L M   A N D   P H I L O S O P H Y

published annually by the SPSCVA,
the Society for the Philosophic Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts.

     We invite you to become a member of the SPSCVA and receive Volume I of
FILM AND PHILOSOPHY (table of contents at the end of this message) plus a
year's worth of newsletters, all for $10.  If you also subscribe in advance to
Volume II ($20 total) we will send you all the back issues of our newsletter.

     To join, send your name and the address where you would like to receive
our publications to the Society's treasurer:

Fred Seddon
Department of Philosophy
Wheeling Jesuit College
Wheeling, WV   26003     USA

     If you like, you may pay by Visa or Mastercard, which might ease currency
conversion costs for some, or just make it easier to respond since you can
join by sending me an E-mail message at

     We also invite you to submit your work to either of our publications.
FILM AND PHILOSOPHY will consider any work which significantly uses film and
which makes an interesting philosophical point; even a quick dip into Volume I
will show that we interpret the word "philosophical" in a very inclusive
sense.  The journal is blind refereed.  Several copies of your paper would
save us xeroxing.  While work may be sent to any editor, unless you know one
personally, you might as well send it to me.

Kendall D'Andrade
Department of Philosophy
Shawnee State University
Portsmouth, OH   45662     USA

     All our book reviews go into the newsletter.  If you are interested in
writing one, may I suggest that you send me a short note "reserving" the book
for yourself.  Length: up to 500 words.  Each newsletter also prints several,
sometimes quite a few, film reviews and mini-essays on film-related topics.
Length: up to 1500 words.  The newsletter, like the journal, actively seeks
diverse points of view.  Please send your submissions for the newsletter to me
at the address above.

     !We invite you to become a member of the SPSCVA!

Kendall D'Andrade, Secretary: SPSCVA

                              Film and Philosophy
                               Volume I    1994

On Cinema and Perversion                                                     3
     by Berys Gaut
Peter Greenaway and Nietzsche's Eternal Return                              18
     by Stephanie Semler
A Freudian Solution to the Attraction-Repulsion Response Evoked by          23
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
     by Elizabeth Jones
The Persistence of Vision: The Re-Emergence of Phenomenological             29
Theories of Film
     by Kevin W. Sweeney
The Camera as a Muse of Fire in Henry V                                     39
     by Julia Houston
Phantasy Projections of the Multiple Psyche in 8 & 1/2 and                  42
Last Year at Marienbad
     by Graham Parkes
Sartrean Themes in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives                         55
     by Sander Lee
The Site of the Body in Torture/The Sight of the Tortured Body:             62
Contemporary Incarnations of Graphic Violence in the Cinema and
the Vision of Edgar Allen Poe
     by Wheeler Winston Dixon
Nobody Here But Us Killers: The Disavowal of Violence in                    71
Recent American Films
     by Thomas M. Leitch
Home Alone: American Dream/American Nightmare                               81
     by Fabian Worsham
Picturing the Human (Body and Soul): A Reading of Blade Runner              87
     by Stephen Mulhall
Retro noir, Future noir: Body Heat, Blade Runner, and                      105
Neo-Conservative Paranoia
     by Robert Crooks
Imagining America: Reflections on Politics and Time in Three               111
Forms of Popular Film
     by David Owen
Hollywood Mediated Reaganism                                               117
     by James W. Newcomb
Floating "In a World of Shit" - Full Metal Jacket's Excremental Vision     121
     by Tony Williams
Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould                                   136
     by Fred Seddon