SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 1995 03:19:22 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> Auden Ledahl
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Fellow Screen-L'ers,
>
> I do not know the laws applying to the usage of the FBI warning,
but I
>wanted to comment that I do feel that this should be opened up for a
general
>audience topic. As for my IMPRESSION... if the material is
copyrighted, then
>the warning can be used. Am I right?
>
> Thanks.
> Auden Ledahl

***** I replied through e-mail to the original response, basically:
I'm almost positive that the FBI warning has no effect on your
copyright protection. (In some cases under the current laws, you can
even leave off copyright notice without losing copyright.) It seems to
be included as (1) a scare tactic and (2) a way to prove that any
copier knew he was violating copyright if anything ever went to court.
My guess is that the warnings are either some standard legal
boilerplate that just gets copied and passed along or it's recommended
FBI wording.

Lang Thompson