SCREEN-L  September 1995, Week 1

SCREEN-L September 1995, Week 1

Update - Lone Star Screenplay Contest

Jon Paul Buchmeyer <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Sep 1995 09:48:10 +0600

News bulletin from the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition:
        Winners of the competition will be announced in conjunction with
the 26th Annual USA Film Festival held in April 1996, Dallas, Texas.  There
will be a staged reading of one of the winning Lone Star scripts and a
reception honoring the competition winners, finalists, judges and industry
guests.
        We are delighted with the added exposure these events will provide
to our competition's talented participants.  Below is the entry form for
the competition and contact information.  Please contact us with questions.
Good luck!

                               Crescent Films

                                announces the

                   1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition

                        for Screenwriters in Texas
                          and across the Nation!

                co-sponsored by The Irving Texas Film Commission

                     deadline for entry December 31, 1995

1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition
     Crescent Films announces the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition
co-sponsored by the Irving Texas Film Commission.  The Competition is open
to all screenwriters, worldwide, who submit an original feature length
screenplay.  All genres will be accepted and scripts will be judged upon
overall quality and commercial marketability.

Prizes
     In addition to the industry exposure that finalist screenplays
receive, winning screenplays earn cash awards.  As an added bonus, all
winners are eligible to sign an option with Crescent Films to represent the
screenplay for a period of one year.  Signing an option is not obligatory.

     All finalist screenplays receive an award certificate.  There are six
prize categories:

*       1st Place Texas Writer $500
*       2nd Place Texas Writer $300
*       1st Place Non-Texas Writer $500
*       2nd Place Non-Texas Writer $300
*       Irving Film Commission Award for Best Script Suitable for Filming
in Texas: 1st Place $500, 2nd Place $300

     Because of Texas' diverse geography and quality studio facilities,
virtually anything can be and has been filmed in Texas.  Currently, Texas
is "Africa" for Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls!  If in doubt, don't worry:
all screenplays will be considered for the Irving Texas Film Commission
Award.
     The winners will be announced in April 1996.  For additional
information now and a complete list of finalists & winners later, visit the
SCREENsite internet web page:
        http://www.sa.ua.edu/tcf/contents.htm
     SCREENsite is a Film/TV-studies site on the world wide web and is
sponsored by the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa Television and Film
Department.

Judges
     Crescent Films is proud to have assembled a wide variety of industry
professionals to serve as judges for the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay
Competition.  Currently scheduled are:
*  Jerry Dale, agent, Writers and Artists, L.A.
*  Sarah Bird, Texas writer, author of The Boyfriend School which she
adapted for the feature film Don't Tell Her It's Me.
*  Alonso Duralde, Artistic Director, USA Film Festival.
*  Ellen Sandoloski, Executive Director, Irving Texas Film Commission.
*  Jennifer Loeb King, President, Crescent Films.

About Crescent Films
     Crescent Films is an independent film and television company dedicated
to the discovery and recognition of the multi-faceted creativity based in
Texas.  The company was formed with Kim Dawson, owner of the largest talent
and modeling agency in the Southwest.  Crescent Films develops, produces
and packages Texas grown film, television and video projects.
     Prior to forming Crescent Films, Jennifer Loeb King was Vice President
of the Studios at Las Colinas for eight years.  Ms. Loeb King was
instrumental in attracting many prestigious feature films to Dallas
including JFK, Silkwood, Robocop and The Trip to Bountiful.
     Crescent Films is currently in development on several feature films, a
children's television series and three movies for television.  Ms. Loeb
King is executive producer for an independent feature film that begins
filming in Dallas in Fall 1995.
     For more information or questions, contact:

                Lone Star Screenplay Competition
                   1920 Abrams Pkwy, No. 419
                   Dallas, Texas  75214-3915
                           214/606-3041

How To Enter
     To enter the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition, please send the
following by December 31, 1995:
*  Completed and signed entry form for each screenplay (see below).  You
may copy the entry form.
*  Screenplay in U.S. Motion Picture Industry standard format.  You may
submit more than one screenplay.
*  Check or money order for $35.00 per entry made payable to Lone Star
Screenplay Competition.
*  Include a self-addressed stamped postcard if you wish acknowledgment of
the receipt of your screenplay.  Screenplays will not be returned.

Entries must be postmarked by December 31, 1995 and addressed to:

                Lone Star Screenplay Competition
                    1920 Abrams Pkwy, No. 419
                    Dallas, Texas  75214-3915

Rules & Regulations
*  Screenplays must not have been optioned or sold at the time of
submission.  You may submit more than one screenplay, each accompanied by
the entry fee.
*  If the submission involves two or more writers, the award will be
divided among them.
*  Screenplays must be the original work of the applicant(s).  If based
upon work in another medium or another person's life story, applicant(s)
must provide a statement verifying the rights to make such an adaptation.
*  Screenplays should be registered with the Writers Guild of America/west,
8955 Beverly Blvd., West Hollywood, CA, 90048, 310/550-1000.  Applicants
should also consider copyrighting their material with the Library of
Congress.
*  The title of the screenplay, and the title only, should appear on the
front cover.  A title page should include the title, author's name,
author's address and phone number.
*  Each screenplay should be accompanied by a two to three sentence synopsis.
*  Applicant agrees to provide additional copies of the screenplay should
the applicant become a finalist.

Entry Form
     Submit a separate entry form with each screenplay entered.  One check
for total entry fees is permitted.  The entry form may be copied.

Screenplay Title:

Author's Name:

Address:

City:

State:          Zip:

Home Phone:

Work Phone:

How did you learn about the competition:

Please attach to this form a 2-3 Sentence synopsis (required for all
submissions).

Release
     Please read the following release and sign where indicated in
connection with your submission of the screenplay (listed above) to the
Crescent Films 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition.  As a condition of
entering the Competition, I/we hereby certify that:
*  I/we are the author(s) of the screenplay which I/we submitted to
"Crescent Films 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition.  I/we are the sole
and exclusive owner of all rights thereto and I/we have full authority to
submit the screenplay to you.
*  I/we will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Competition, Crescent
Films, USA Film Festival, Irving Texas Film Commission and Competition
employees, partners and judges, individually and collectively, including
their heirs, personal representatives, officers, directors, successors and
assigns, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs,
judgments, liabilities and expenses (inlcuding attorney's fees) arising out
of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties based on any
screenplays or other materials submitted by me to the Competition.
*  I/we hereby grant to the Competition the nonexclusive right to use my
name, photograph and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and
promotional activities regarding the Competition.
*  I/we understand the Competition accepts no liability whatsoever for
non-receipt or loss of my screenplay and I/we hereby agree to remain fully
liable in connection therewith.  I/we further undertand that the
Competition will not return and is not obligated to return my screenplay
(or any other materials I/we have submitted to the Competition) to me.
*  I/we hereby agree to abide by the decisions of the Competition Sponsors
and Competition Judges with regard to all matters and decisions, including
those decisions involving their sole discretion, relating to the
Competition.
I/we have read all the Competition rules and release, understand them and
have complied with them.  I/we further understand that failure to adhere to
the Competition rules will result in disqualification for which no refund
of entry fee(s) is due.

Signature:                                        Date:

Signature:                                        Date:

Jon Paul Buchmeyer, Managing Director