SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
janet staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 18:14:46 -0500
Regarding Lang Thompson's question about films that are structured by an
unreliable narrator, the only one I've found is the 1962 Cabinet of Dr.
Caligari.  The story turns out to be the protagonist's delusion but
this is withheld information, and not precisely structured as her
dream.  Rather it is a narrative revelation at the climax.  I'd be
interested in knowing about others.
        Janet Staiger, Dept of Radio-TV-Film, Univ of Texas at Austin