SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 04:47:44 GMT
Nice to see such a response.  I'd forgotten most of Stage Fright so
i'll be sure to watch it again. And Total Recall does have other
examples (Philip Dick's novels are about almost nothing but the
unreliability of narrators). Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge also even
though it does have a few tip-offs that it's not real (such as gates
swinging open with no visible source). I also remember an episode of
Star Trek: The Next Generation where nearly the entire first half took
place on the holodeck without the people involved realizing it. And i
guess for novelty value you might add the notorious dreamed season of
Dallas or the finale of the Bob Newhart show where he'd dreamed the
entire series but those really aren't good examples.

Maybe Bunuel might be the most common source of such unreliable events
in movies. Some people have suggested that parts of Belle de Jour are
also fantasies but they can't pinpoint exactly which parts. And the
Unnamed Recent Movie has events along a continuum from certain to
impossible and half the fun is trying to sort out which is what.
That's pretty much what i'm getting at, not hallucinations or
imaginings or whatever that are clearly unreal (or soon revealed as
such) but situations where there's no reason to doubt the reality as
part of the story until some later event. What's interesting is that
when something is *seen* in a movie, it's assumed to be real unless
marked otherwise (dreams, hallucinations, etc). I'm not sure this can
be considered a convention of filmic storytelling so much as an aspect
of the medium so strong that it's rarely questioned. Even if we could
come up with two or three dozen examples, i'd still stand by my claim
that the unreliable narrator concept is quite rare in film in contrast
to literature and not just because actual narrators are uncommon in
film.

Lang Thompson