SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Martin F Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 15:14:37 -0400
Another take on _A Clockwork Orange_:

I continue to be fascinated by Kubrick's linkage of violence and the arts
in this film.  _A Clockwork Orange_ is absolutely loaded with instances
in which an art form is an instrument of violence or the site of it: a
theatrical stage (the attempted gang rape), dance (the assault on
the writer), music (the writer's use of Beethoven to torture Alex), sculpture
(the "cat woman" scene), and movies (Alex's "programming"), to name the
more conspicuous.  Is Kubrick suggesting that art and violence stem from the
same source?  I can't help but think of Orson Welles/Harry Lime's famous
"cuckoo clock" speech high above Vienna in _The Third Man_.

Any thoughts on this?

 --
Martin F. Norden
Dept. of Communication