SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
Bohdan Nebesio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 23:28:49 -0600
In my research into East European cinema I often find reference to film as
the "tenth muse," an obvious addition to nine muses from Greek mythology.
I thought that the term originated with Karol Irzykowski and his 1924 book
_The Tenth Muse_ in Polish but recently I found a story according to which
a painting of the tenth muse was added to an existing painting of nine
muses in the Vatican. This sounds rather suspicious because the story
comes from a 1928 book and I doubt that the Vatican was of such a high
opinion about cinema at that time. Can anyone confirm this story. Do
references to film as the tenth muse surface anywhere else?

Thanks in advance

Bohdan Nebesio
University of Alberta