SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
Kristine Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 22:01:42 -0600
>RE: video/film debate, another angle
>
>Now that the debate on using video to teach film seems to be simmering down,
>I'd
>like to ask a related question.  I sometimes show entire films in my classes,
>then go over parts of them again with students to analyze more closely.  A
>colleague in my dept. says he never shows entire films in class, because it
>eats
>up too much class time.  He has students find the video and view it outside,
>then bring it into class and point out parts (and explain the rest) for other
>students.  While my colleague teaches more history of film courses, and mine
>focus on fewer films, I'm thinking of adopting/adapting his technique.
>
>Any success stories, other techniques, or strong views on showing entire films
>vs. certain parts in class?

Personally, although it does indeed take up a *lot* of time to show entire
films in class, I try to do it as much as possible.  My reasoning?  Simple.
I have had some of the best discussions of my entire teaching experience
immediately following a film screening, when students are still emotionally
and intellectually engaged with what has just taken place on the screen.
In addition, I feel that their watching the films as a community keeps them
on their toes more, and helps them interact better (e.g., their oft
repeated, "hey did anybody notice...").  In addition, I often ask students
if there are any specific bits that they would like to see again to discuss
in the following class session.  Then, I find the cue numbers and replay
the scenes on video, which allows me to review a large number of clips if
need be (of course, with laser disc, this could be accomplished easily then
and there...)  I'm a proponent of spending as much class time with the film
as possible, for the sake of student and student/teacher interaction.

Kristine J. Butler
Department of French and Italian
University of Minnesota

"To dissect is a form of revenge."