SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 21:08:41 -0600
Missy asks:
"Does anyone have any suggestions as to short clips etc. that I
can show in class. I'm especially interested in anything that will
help them grasp the esthetics of editing."

I haven't used it myself, but have admired (and others have recommended)
James Naremore's teaching film A NICKEL FOR THE MOVIES, which sets a scene
and then de-coupages and de-constructs it right down to the price of
admission.

The Criterion laserdiscs, if you have the technology at hand, can be quite
useful, since you can stop, slow down and otherwise mess with individual
moments. On the laserdisc of TOOTSIE, I've often used the "lesbian" scene
between Michael/Dorothy and Julie, which is included as a CAV format extra
on the disk. It's a classic bit of continuity editing, employing following
pans, the 180-degree rule (and shot/reverse shot) and match on action--all
within just a few moments of screen time.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)