SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 5

From:
Patrick Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 11:00:54 -0600
Well, I really hate to say this, but you better find a lawyer to tell you about
nudity and, in the end, use your artistic integrity as a guide rather than the
law.  The gist of "nudity law" is that its ok so long as there is some redeeming
content in your work, regardless of how lame it is.  If there is no redeeming
content, and if you make the nudity titillating to the edgier tastes out there,
you are going to get into the area of obscenity.  Otherwise, it seems your real
worry is the rating board people.  I don't even want to get into what the nudity
standards might be in, for instance, such contrasting places as Panguitch, Utah
as opposed to San Francisco, let alone Riyadh or Phnom Penh.  There are so many
standards of conduct out there it is a little like choosing ice cream.  You
listen to what everyone else tells you for a while, but then you just have to
order up a scoop.

Everyone already knows this, don't they?