SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 5

From:
Dave Trautman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 16:16:01 U
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Video may be less...content

Don Larsson said:
"Yet in the videotape I watched (set on Extended Play, to be sure), the book
was hard to see and the lettering illegible.  I'm not sure if Leni's loss or
ours is greater here!"

I too have had difficulty explaining to people what I saw in American Giggolo
because the video cannot show the details that gave it its depth.
Nothing about the wife abuse is mentioned in the dialogue but it is essential
to understanding the story.  I've met no one else who saw the same film in
the theatre who came to the same story conclusions I did.  Video is
completely unable to reproduce the visual detail necessary to discern the
first and most important clues to the mystery.  Without it the audience has
only the "narrative" presented by the dialogue.