SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 09:29:41 CST
MediaWeb, an informal group of webmasters working on film/TV/multimedia web
sites, is looking for a logo or icon to represent itself.  So, a contest
has sprung up to have one designed.

This slapdash "contest" offers no prizes, but the winning work will be seen
on dozens of media web sites.

Deadline:  August 7, 1995

For info on MediaWeb:  http://www.sa.ua.edu/tcf/mediaweb.htm.

And here's more details, from the contest announcement:

MediaWeb is looking for a button-style icon that matches some of the
standard ones out there already (40x40 pixels, 8 colors, grey background,
raised border, GIF format, etc.).  But dang, why limit ourselves?

I've set up a little FTP/gopher site where folks can put their entries and
view the previously submitted ones.  Plus, I've put two sample icons up
there to get the ball rolling.

After a couple of weeks (after say, August 7), let's see what we've got and
try to come to a group consensus about the hippest, snappiest MediaWeb
icon.

THE GREAT MEDIAWEB ICON CONTEST

To view/get icons, connect to:

gopher://gopher.tcf.ua.edu/

And look for "MediaWeb Materials."  Or go directly to:

gopher://gopher.tcf.ua.edu/11p%3A/mediaweb

To submit an icon:

1.  Give it a name that can live in the DOS world (this FTP site is on an
ancient DOS computer).  That is, use eight characters, a period, and "gif"
as an extension--as in the sample files:

btnsamp1.gif
btnsamp2.gif

2.  Prepare a *text file* with a similar name (e.g., btnsamp1.txt) that
identifies yourself (human name, e-mail address, homepage, anything else
you want) and the name(s) of the file(s) you've submitted.

2.  FTP to

ftp.tcf.ua.edu

3.  Login as MEDIAWEB and give your e-mail address as a password.

4.  Change to the mediaweb directory.

5.  Put your GIF and text files right there.  If, through some odd
coincidence, someone else has put a file there with the same name as yours,
you'll need to rename your file before you can send it.

VIRUS WARNING!!!

Since *anyone* may put files in this directory and I am not checking them
before they are stored there, do *not* get any files with suspicious
extensions like "exe," "com" or "bat."  Such suspicious files do not belong
there and may contain viruses!

I'll check this site regularly to weed out any such troublemakers, but I
cannot guarantee the security of this site.

Ah me, freedom brings risks, doesn't it?  (Remember to wear your computer
condom!)

As far as I know, viruses cannot be launched from GIF files, so I think
we're safe as long as we stick with them.

If any problems arise with this gopher/FTP site let me know.  It's pretty
new and I may not have worked all the bugs out.

--Jeremy

MediaWeb Co-coordinator

Jeremy Butler   *  [log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]
SCREENsite -- a Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web:
http://www.sa.ua.edu/TCF/welcome.htm
Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa