SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 3

From:
Nina Leibman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 10:08:41 -0700
First off, I'd like to commend the scholars on this marvelous debate.
 Especial-ly to Murray, Mike, Don and Gene -- kudos for keeping this in
 perspective and
for your commitment to analysis and pedagogy. I'd like to throw some more
pragamatism into the ring. First, as Don mentioned, films can give pleasure in
a number of ways. Because this is often the first, and only time these
 studentswill see older films, it behooves us to capture their attention and
 infuse them with a cinematic passion as expeditiously as possible. Talk to your
 reps at
Films Inc, etc. and they can tell you which prints are still in mint condition.
Often this means you might be showing CAREFREE, instead of TOP HAT, but if your
purpose is to immerse your students in the wonders of the filmic experience,
this is a good option. Second, select for film projection (even bad prints)
those films which lose all resolution on video (like CITIZEN KANE), and save
the video for films which are stronger on plot, structure, acting and have
lots of high key lighting for video or laser (like THE PHILADELPHIA STORY).
Direct your students to the 4 or 5 restored re-releases put out by the studios
each year. This is a quick simple way to get them into a theatre situation
with a great print. (I did this a year ago with STREETCAR, and about 60
 students out of 110 went and loved it -- this after seeing in class a crummy 16
 print
of ON THE WATERFRONT.) We are not in an ideal world, but there are always
ideal opportunities. Nina